ELAP 101

Want to learn about Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-raised Fish and how to apply? You've come to the right place!

What ELAP assistance type would you like to learn about?

ELAP Record Keeping & Supporting Documentation

The best way to set yourself up for success in utilizing FSA programs is to use the appropriate record-keeping practices early and often! Additionally, making sure you know what type of documentation can be used to support your losses will ensure a seamless application process to ELAP. Check out the slides below to learn more:

ELAP Fast Facts

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-raised Fish (ELAP) provides financial assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees, and farm-raised fish who suffer losses due to adverse weather or other eligible adverse conditions.

The program covers losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs, including losses due to disease, adverse weather, and feed or water shortages.
Livestock Assistance: Covers losses on eligible grazing land, purchased or produced feed losses, additional feed purchased above normal, and increased feed delivery cost in conjunction with purchased, produced, or additional feed purchased above normal.

Honeybee Assistance: Provides assistance for losses of honey bee colonies, losses of hives, and purchased, produced, or additional feed purchased above normal losses due to eligible loss conditions

Farm-Raised Fish Assistance: Covers death losses and purchased and produced feed losses for farm-raised fish due to eligible loss conditions.
If you are a commercial producer of agriculture and share in the risk of livestock, farm-raised fish, or honey bees, you may be eligible for ELAP assistance.

You can refer to the eligibility tools on the Livestock, Honey Bee, and Farm-raised Fish pages to help determine your eligibility.

Producers must submit a complete ELAP application and required supporting documentation to their local USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) office.

Applications must be submitted by January 30th of the program year following the loss.

Producers should contact their local FSA office for assistance with the application process and to inquire about eligibility requirements.

There is a payment limitation of $125,000 per person or legal entity per program year for ELAP.

Payments are subject to a reduction by 7.3% as required by the Budget Control Act of 2011.

ELAP Preparation Checklist

Check out FSA's ELAP Fact Sheet to learn more:

Have more questions?

Reach out to your Local USDA Service Center to learn more!